Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Organize Your Eating: Part 2

All you need are vegetables, fruits and ice cube trays!




Every couple of months I pick up a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables. Here’s what I do with them!

 Ø  Cook the vegetables and puree them in a blender. Sometimes I add a bit of butter and or water if needed so the vegetables are nice and smooth.
Ø  Next, I scoop the pureed veggies into ice cube trays and freeze.
Ø  Once frozen put all the little cubes in a big baggie and label it. This works really well with vegetables that you would normally mash like sweet potato or turnip. On a day when I want to cook vegetables for a side dish but I don’t have time to run to the store, I go to my freezer and pull out the appropriate number of vegetable cubes. If my toddler decides one day he’s going to be a picky eater, I whip out some vegetables and defrost on the stove (or microwave).


You can also do this with fresh fruits which are great to have on hand for smoothies or for fruit on the bottom yogurt.
Ø  Puree the fruits and put them in ice cube trays like above.
Ø  You can do individual fruits or if you’re feeling brave, mix them up for a new combination!
Ø  Avoid using bananas as they will turn brown. I find melon also goes a bit squishy in the freezer.


Dollarama has ice cube trays with lids. The cubes are smaller but if you think the veggie or fruits will sit in the freezer for a few days before you can baggie/label them, an ice cube tray with a lid is a better option.



No comments:

Post a Comment